Follow Me on Twitter!

Find me on twitter @TroyComets

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Beginners Guide to Troy Comets

Today I’m going to take a break from the relatively more serious posts I’ve been doing lately.  The last month or so I’ve seen a huge spike in blog traffic which has generated some feedback.  This makes this whole blogging adventure very exciting for me because I honestly didn’t think the blog was going to go anywhere.  I mean, I’ve tried blogging before—even using my real name and sharing it with family and friends and colleagues.  But to be honest?  I’ve had more readers and support and reaction from you, dear reader, using my pseudonym, than I did when I used my real name and shared with people who actually know me.  Kind of makes you think, doesn’t it?

So, I thought I would pause today and share a few things you might like to know about me and my blog. 

·        Just to be clear, Troy Comets is a fictitious name.  If you haven’t had a chance to do it yet, you might want to quick go and read my first blog post here.  It gives you some important background on why I chose to write with a pseudonym (fake name).  The cliff notes version is this:  Because of my life situation, coming out has been next to impossible and became more complicated with each passing year.  Obviously that wasn’t my intention; even telling lies for what seem like very good reasons results in chaos that doesn’t just affect your life but the lives of people around you.  Adopting the name “Troy Comets” has allowed me to not only publish the kind of stories I would have wanted to read as a teenager/young adult if the world had been different but it’s given me the chance to start this blog and try to make a difference.
·        Because of my need for anonymity and my appeal to you, the reader, to respect that, I try very hard not to share too many details about my non-Troy Comets life.  I think I’ve let a few things slip between Twitter (@TroyComets) and a few remarks in some blog entries.  I do live in Minnesota and I have traveled a bit.  I have quite a bit of education behind me.  I’m not saying that to brag and I’m not going to go into detail.  I think, dear reader, if you stick around long enough you’ll probably be able to figure out what my areas of study were in graduate school.  I just want to remind you of our agreement:  I’ll be here for you, sharing my knowledge and experience and even being that hole in the virtual wall through which you can scream and yell and cry (which I’ve been for a few of you already and you don’t know what an honor it is to have that experience)—all I ask in return is that you don’t go peaking around the curtain.  I’m not naïve.  I know if someone wanted to know who Troy Comets really is they could find out in no time.  But I believe in the inherent good of people and know that my readers aren’t the kind of people to out someone who has explained why coming out isn’t an option right now.
·        Blogging is an interesting thing for me.  I sometimes find that I blog the way I speak.  The way I speak is considerably different from the way I write.  Here’s the difference.  A couple of weeks ago I wrote this blog post on “Community,” having been inspired by a YouTuber by the name of Travis Bryant (@TravisBryantNYC on Twitter).  This is what a lot of my non-fiction writing looks like.  It’s research and cohesive argument driving to an ultimate point.  When I speak publicly as part of my non-Troy Comets life I intentionally leave loopholes and gaps in my thoughts and arguments.  I’ve noticed this approach in my blogging now, too.  The reason for this is that when I speak and when I blog I’m trying very hard to engage people in conversation.  I’m not here to impress you, dear reader, with my knowledge and my experience and beat you over the head with sound, air tight arguments every time I post a blog entry.  There’s a place for that kind of written communication and, as a rule, it’s not here.  I prefer to think of my blog as a kitchen table at which we can gather.  I’ll bring my stories and my experiences and you bring yours and let’s just…talk.  So I leave gaps in my blog writing.  I don’t always flesh out concepts or drive home arguments as hard as I could because I don’t want to control what you think.  I’ll share a thought or an idea or an experience, talk a little about it, and leave it alone for YOU to turn over and interact with.  One of the critiques I give myself is “You should develop this idea more” or “Talk more about this.”  For example, my post Soundtrack could have had more detail, more meat to it.  But that wasn’t my goal.  I didn’t want to talk about myself, I wanted to use myself as an example to encourage you to think about yourself.  I hope that makes sense.  I also hope that it doesn’t come off as condescending.  I just want to have a conversation and that’s just not going to happen if I’m dominating my blog with fine-tuned rhetorical arguments and research discourses. 
·        My goal with the blog since the beginning was to put out two posts each week: Wednesday and Sundays.  The problem is that inspiration is a fickle partner in this adventure.  Though I don’t think I’ve dropped below two posts in any week, I know that I’ve gone beyond that.  Just know that my goal has been two posts each week.  The other factor that complicates things is I’m currently working on my second book.  I’m really pleased with its premise and progress.  It seems like the story is so desperate to be told that it’s writing itself.  But it is a time consuming process and, unlike These Are The Days, I’ve had to do a lot more research for the new book.  I’m still writing what I know and what I would have liked to read but fortunately I always need to know more.  So know that if I’m late on a post or I miss my quota, I’m probably consumed with the new book.  My goal is to get it out early summer. 
·        If you haven’t done it yet, you really need to follow me on Twitter (@TroyComets).  That way I can follow you, too.  Like I said, the whole point of much of this blog is to have conversations.  I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking time to read my thoughts but I also want to hear your thoughts.  I want to hear your story.  Following me on Twitter also gives you a chance to help me out with the blog.  Sometimes I throw ideas out there or request ideas/stories from my Twitter followers.  If everyone who reads my blog were to follow me on Twitter and engage in some way….I just got goosebumps over just thinking about the great conversations we can have and what we could learn from each other.  Since starting the blog at the end of January it’s had just over 800 views from all over the world.  That’s a HUGE kitchen table!  Let’s make use of it!


That’s it!  I want to close, though, by expressing my sincere gratitude for your support.  It means so much to me, dear reader, that of all the choices you could make and all the things you could do and all of the other blogs you could be reading, you are taking the time to read this one.  Thank you.  I hope I make it worth your while.  

No comments:

Post a Comment