Follow Me on Twitter!

Find me on twitter @TroyComets

Monday, February 8, 2016

Soundtrack

Recently I read an older article on Huffington Post about a paper published by a psychiatrist by the name of Dr. Joel Gold.  The paper details a disorder called “The Truman Show Delusion.”  People afflicted by this disorder believe that they are actual real life Trumans with their every move being broadcast around the world.  Dr. Gold cited one patient who actually believed that the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01 were staged to be a part of the narrative of his live broadcast.  I’ll put the link at the end of this post.

I think everyone stops occasionally in their life and tries to plug their life into a movie or a television program.  Hopefully it’s more along the lines of a sitcom or a romcom than CSI or National Geographic and heaven forbid someone should liken their life to a reality show.  I think it’s natural.  I think it’s part of the way we orient ourselves in the telling of our story.  Our memories of movies and television shows get wrapped up in the memories of our own experiences.  After all watching these things are memories of things we’ve experienced. 

Think of it this way.  How many times have you heard something or experienced something and something like this falls out of your mouth:  That reminds me of the time…

Yeah, we all do it.  We are all constantly interpreting our present through our past as we put our stories together.  We draw on the material from movies because those scenes, those characters seem to have it together.  And most of them do or at least end up getting it together by the end of the movie.  It’s how their characters were written. 

One of the things that we do when we draw comparisons between our lives and the movies we’ve seen is think about the different characters who would play the people in our lives.  Who plays our parents?  Our siblings?  Our friends?  That weird bachelor uncle who makes holiday dinners especially awkward? 

I think we also have a tendency to mark time in our stories with music.  It’s like a soundtrack to a movie.  How many times do we stop conversations to say, “This is my song!” or get nostalgic when a certain songs comes up on our playlists? 

Thinking about a soundtrack for my life is a bit touch and go because of the layers of my life and identity.  There are songs that stand out in my head with such power because of the people involved and the things that I was doing when the song caught my attention and settled in my brain.  When I hear “Nothing Compares to You” by Sinead O’Connor I am immediately pulled back to when my world suddenly became larger by a simple trip to Winnipeg, Manitoba.  This was a huge deal for me.  Growing up I never went anywhere but the minute I took my first walk through Winnipeg my perspective on the world changed.  All of a sudden there were more opportunities and possibilities in life.  It helped set a course for the future, fueled daydreams and fantasies, and even now I would love to relocate to “The Peg.”

Then there are songs that are powerful because no one was there.  For example, “Parce Mihi Domine” by Jan Garbarek.  I could not stop playing this song over and over as the storm clouds of my mind broke loose and torrents of tears flowed down my cheeks.  To this day if I need a good cathartic cry I’ll put it on repeat.  Usually in the car, when I’m alone.  It’s my “forlorn and forgotten” theme, the saxophone’s doleful wail rising above The Hilliard Ensemble’s choral perfection as the scenes of my life pass by in slow motion to emphasize the sense of pain and isolation. 

And then there are the songs that speak volumes to moments in my life that very few people know about or would understand.  These are the songs that Troy Comets has no problem talking about or listening to publicly.  These are the songs that usually come at moments of epiphany, like when I first heard “Heaven” by Troye Sivan.  When I heard this song I thought two things:  This song is saying things that people wouldn’t have dared to even think let alone sing when I was growing up and thank God we’ve come so far that artists can sing about being whole in the face of socio-religious doctrine which insists that parts of us are defective and evil.  This is the song that is played when I need to draw courage to speak words that need to be spoken.  If I have second thoughts about things I write or need to boost my resolve to commit to written words that I could never speak out loud.  It’s the song in the background as I sit at my desk, writing furiously in front of the computer or attacking a printed manuscript with a relentless red pen.

That leaves the victorious anthem.  This is the song that plays during the feel good moments on the bounce back from dark times.  It’s the one that plays under the montage.  It’s hard to pick just one because there are so many that help define moments in my life.  It’s like the classic film “Dream a Little Dream” in which a bulk of the movie is edited together to support the soundtrack playlist.  If I were to pick just one, today, it would be “Affirmation” by Savage Garden for the simple reason that it captures so much of what I actually believe and for which I try to advocate. 

This is just a visual glimpse of the soundtrack that I would put to the movie of my life.  The problem with trying to do a list like this is that so many songs don’t come to mind until you hear them and they stir memories or connect with experiences in your mind.  As I think about how to wrap this post up there’s a little voice in the back of my head protesting my list and demanding to know why I didn’t include any number of other meaningful music.  Fortunately I managed to distract that voice by asking which actor should be cast in the starring role.  Who should play me?

What about you?  What music marks moments in your life?  What songs serve as touchstones for your story?  What musical artist helps you define yourself and the themes of your story?






No comments:

Post a Comment